Friday, June 7, 2013

DIY Kids Tent!

If you've read my summer ideas for kids #3 post them you've seen the tent I made for the boys. I figured I would share how I made it. I'm not a sewer (I wish I knew how to maybe one day I'll get a sewing machine and learn). So I came up with a no sew tutorial.

DIY Kids Tent
  • Hula hoop (I got mine from dollar tree for $1 they had different sizes. I got the biggest one they had)
  •  Stitch  witchery (I got it at Walmart in the sewing isle for around $ 2.50)
  •  Fabric you could also use curtains/sheets (I got the fabric from walmart the blue & green fabric was $2 per yard & the avengers fabric was I believe $ 4.54 per yard. I got 2 yards of each fabric (There was a lot of  really cute marked down/clearance  fabric as low as $1 per yard. 
  •  Iron
  •  Ribbon (hanging up)
  •  Command hook
Take the tape holding the hula hoop together off and pull the ribbon off. Take your fabric and using the stitch witchery hem top and bottom * Make sure you leave the top the hula hoop is gonna slide on threw wide enough*

For ours I did alternating stripes. I just cut the fabric in half length wise. Hem the sides together again using the stitch witchery. Continue all the way round. * Leave the last two ends open* 

Slide the fabric onto the hula hoop and secure the hula hoop together again. If you want to make it look more put together you can wrap and glue ribbon around the part of the hula hoop that is exposed when the fabric is pushed open.

Take some thicker ribbon and tie 4 pieces evenly on to the hula hoop. Take the ends together and make a knot/loop at the top. 

That's it! Pretty easy there's so many possibilities you can do with this. You could use it as a canopy of your kids bed, put in a corner as a reading "hangout" area. It would be really cute with strings of light strung across the top of the hula hoop for night time as well. If you use sheer fabric for girls you could attach some pretty flowers to. 

Sorry this isn't the best tutorial but hopefully you get the idea and it helps you if you decide to make your own : )











21 comments:

  1. Hey there hun. Just wondering if you have twitter and facebook. I'm trying to add everyone on my blog now that has all of those and i added you on blog lovin' already

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No actually I don't. I haven't jumped in on those two yet. Thanks so much for asking though : )

      Delete
  2. That is a cool idea. We used to make tents with the couch cushions when I was little. My mom and dad had the perfect couches for it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use couch cushions, sheets, table and chairs when I was little (the boys still love doing that to) : )

      Delete
  3. Clever idea, except how do you hang it? Do you think it could be adapted for outside?

    I'm having fun out and about mingling with the wkend show off blog party folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For inside I used a command hook attached to the ceiling. If you want it outside you could hang it on a tree branch.

      Hope that helps! If you have anymore questions let me know. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend : )

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I found you at Let’s Get Social Sunday and am your newest follower through bloglovin. I’d love a follow back at gloriouslymade.blogspot.com.
    Have a great Sunday,
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deanna! Thanks so much for stopping by and following! I'm now following you on bloglovin : )

      Delete
  6. EXCELENTE!! Here from the Showoff blog hop & placed this on my Google+- ♥ it! BB2U

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm stopping by from the Sunday blog hop. I hope your having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so adorable! Thank you for sharing your tutorial.

    I am stopping by from the Tuesday Linkup Blog Hop.

    Kelly
    Our Everyday Harvest

    ReplyDelete
  9. So easy to make and so useful! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for the kids :). Thank you for sharing this with My Favorite Posts SHOW OFF Weekend Blog Party!

    Jessica
    The Wondering Brain

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited I bought a ton of fabric for a quilt but it ended up that the fabric itself was printed wrong so I had 4 yards of fabric and nothing to do it with. I am making this for my little boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That worked out perfect then : ) Hope your boys have fun and enjoy it as much as mine do : )

      Delete
    2. Just finished it!!! The boys love it. Since it was for them my 3 year old even got to help me sew it because I had thread to sew it and no stitch witchery. All the lines are very very crocked but he absolutely loved helping me sew the it.

      Delete
    3. That's so awesome he got to help! Oh that's ok it makes it more special that way : ) Glad to hear there enjoying it.

      Delete